AdventurePro's Australia and New Zealand Outdoor Adventure Guide
THE GUIDE   JOBS   TOURS
COURSES   NEWS  
One Planet - Rain wear, gaiters, tents, packs and sleeping bags!
Spacer

PayPal Logo MasterCard Visa

AdventurePro - Google+Follow us on TwitterFind us on Facebook®AdventureProVideo's Channel on YouTubeAdventureProVideo on Vimeo Bookmark and Share

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rocky Valley Ck (Read 4,796 times)
AB

Rocky Valley Ck
Jan 28th, 2004 at 4:47am
Print Post  
Finally went and looked at the E Kiewa Rocky Valley Branch where the Little Arthur Track crosses today (have paddled it from near the ladder after walking up from Bogong Village). More water coming over the double drop than expected in summer (in fact there was enough to slide over the drop on the far right).
Looks like the line on the bottom drop could be either far right or left at higher flows. But what about the top drop? What line/s have people run on that and then what line to follow on the bottom drop when there's some water? Also, how did you get your boats up there?

IP Logged

hairy_boater

Re: Rocky Valley Ck
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 6:52am
Print Post  
We've run those drops. Takling in terms of river right/left, I think the top one we ran on the left somewhere, the Bottom drop went center-ish, to the right of the 'fin'.

Getting boats up the top? We walked in on the Spion Kopje track [I dont know the correct speeling] and paddled from the ford, its 1.3km to the double drop...Bring ur creeker...

i think we're planning to go in an relocate a couple of logs this summer. Probably get rid of that log thats blocking the start of the lower canyon as well [just upstream of the 'ladder']

cheerio

Tim

IP Logged

sankthansorm

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 5:36am
Print Post  
Alternatively, if you don't wnat to spend several hours running the really steep lead in like hairy suggests (if you do watch out for the big double drop  Shocked), you can just bash up river left, and slide off a rock ledge straight into the lead in to the top drop.  They are both very easy just point and shoot, the rocks should boof you automatically.
For the glory line, you could go off the middle of the top drop for the big boof.
Cheers
Pete

IP Logged

grant

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
I think Pete is getting confused with the rocky valley.  I believe the drops AB are talking about are above the "hydro" ladder.  This is at the bottom of the gorge in the "standard" rocky valley section.  This isn't the double drop (or "park n huck") just above this section.

I have uploaded a video of, what I think, AB is talking about (with the log in the top drop).  This last year we had to portage that first drop on river left due to the log in the nice drop on river right.

The video is found at http://www.lokicanoeclub.com/media/Video/rocky_2mb.mov (the file is 2.7MB and needs Quicktime 6 or 3ivx to play- see www.lokicanoeclub.com for more details).  The first scene is tim snow boating down the road walking in to the "standard" section.  The next scene is Jeff paddling the first rapid in the gorge.  Finally you see Tim going down the second of the two drops (with the log in the first drop on river right).

IP Logged

sankthansorm

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Hey sunshine, read again...
Think he means the ones just above the little arthur track like he says in the post.  8)
been raining heaps here... after work boating... hear it's been pissing down up your way too.
Pete

IP Logged

hairy_boater

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 4:12am
Print Post  
nothing useful - yet - flood forecast on West Gippsland, though gauging sites not reporting anything particularlly interesting yet. la nina reports that gardiners went to 2m at some stage during the storms inthe last 24hrs, though noone i know was there then....when he got there it was 0.4m

what plans you got for the weekend...noticed that cataract is running....

IP Logged

sankthansorm

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 5:13am
Print Post  
gotta ummm finish the lea ? Roll Eyes
then maybe leven.  Smiley
Moving house too...complicates things a little.
how's the posse going?
maybe you guys could do the morwell river prison farm run or something.
Hey, great website grant, who are those guys you've taken all those gnarly photos of?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top   

adventure guide | outdoor jobs | adventure tours | recreation courses | outdoor adventure news| video festival
forums | advertising | add a site | update a site | contact us | paddle australia | privacy statement | secure payments

AdventurePro Australia & New Zealand proudly supports the following advertisers...

Copyright © 1999 - Adventure Professional Publications. All rights reserved.
Secured by RapidSSL