AdventurePro's Australia and New Zealand Outdoor Adventure Guide
THE GUIDE   JOBS   TOURS
COURSES   NEWS  
One Planet - Rain wear, gaiters, tents, packs and sleeping bags!
Spacer

PayPal Logo MasterCard Visa

AdventurePro - Google+Follow us on TwitterFind us on Facebook®AdventureProVideo's Channel on YouTubeAdventureProVideo on Vimeo Bookmark and Share

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) 2006 freestyle nationals (Read 7,316 times)
2006 natioanals

2006 freestyle nationals
Nov 23rd, 2005 at 3:06am
Print Post  
just writing to see what the deal is with the 2006 nationals

pws said it may be held there
or would it be better to hold it in the surf like the rodeo sean boz and yappa ran
neway
it would be great if u could fill me, freestyle paddlers in with the details
thanks

IP Logged

Yappa.

I'm hoping the surf
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Hey guys,

I'm just as out of the loop as most however I am hoping the next nationals are going to be held at the surf. I'm going to be flying home around the start of December and wouldnt mind looking into it straight away.

The format that Sean and I used for the last surf comp seemed to work really well and with the types of moves being done now a days I think its about time the comps are brought to some more dynamic waves.

Either or, Sean and myself definitely plan on running a surf comp or two through the summer so keep your eyes peeled for them.

Take it easy all,
- Anthony

IP Logged

boz

another vote for the beach!
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Cheesy  Definately the surf!!!!  maybe even a surf series...  it would be cool to have the national champs spread over maybe two weekends at different beaches...

oh baby am i looking forward to hitting the waves again in a couple of weeks

- boz

IP Logged

Guru Mick

Re: 2006 freestyle nationals
Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 1:33am
Print Post  
As a non-competitor it's none of my business but have you considered that if the comp is held in the surf then you invite comparison with the Australian waveski champs ? From what I've seen on the WWW there are some really incredible waveski paddlers out there.

IP Logged

Yappa.

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 2:44am
Print Post  
Hey there Mick,

Long time no see. Lol as a non-competitor its totally your business, its people like yourself we're hoping to entise down to the comp to watch and have a good time, and if the comp was boring and no good for spectators then I sure as heck wanna know about it.

As for a joint program, thats not a bad idea. The only problem is time and Surf events take alot of it, just because there isnt a constant wave infront of us. But if we all got together to hold it over a weekend, that might work out, and in-turn hopefully bring some more competitors and spectators. Definitely something to look into.

But yea the main issue is time, and holding a nationals at the surf, hmmmm who knows how many people we're going to reel in, it might go huge. Soooooo, last year when Sean and I ran the surf comp in Melb everything seemed to go pretty smoothly. Time wise the format ran really well, and the judging seemed to work really well to, but if anyone out there has any ideas on different formats, time management schemes, anything that might help out, feel free to let me know, would be really good to hear it.

Anyways must be off, take it easy Mick, and everyone else out there,

Happy boatin,

- Anthony

IP Logged

boz

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 6:02am
Print Post  
Hey Mick!
yeah i think a dual program would be sweet. I'm not sure we could compete in the same class as wave skiers as the aim of the sports are a little different - while we're trying to do big tricks the waveskiers are trying to carve up the wave surfer style.

Look out for a surf comp in the next month or so, maybe even before christmas....

- boz

IP Logged

boz

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 6:04am
Print Post  
Hey Mick!
yeah i think a dual program would be sweet. I'm not sure we could compete in the same class as wave skiers as the aim of the sports are a little different - while we're trying to do big tricks the waveskiers are trying to carve up the wave surfer style.

Look out for a surf comp in the next month or so, maybe even before christmas....

- boz

IP Logged

jim

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 7:10am
Print Post  
I don't want to dampen enthusiasm for a surf event but I thought the whole idea of having a comp such as the nationals was to have it on a reliable wave. Don't know about you guys but everytime I go to the beach the waves are usually crap,(probably my luck) not that I go too often but I wouldn't really called it reliable.
After all the nationals in Tassie were cancelled because they could not provide a reliable wave.(even though some of us bought tickets to get there)
That really doesn't leave much alternative though.
It also doesn't mean that you should stop beach comps, the last one seemed to go off well, (we just need some around Sydney) but if you are holding nationals shouldn't there be some guarrantee of reliability.
In your own words, you thought that it takes time, and if people have to travel they may not be able to spend 2 weekends looking for a wave.

IP Logged

anon

Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 8:21am
Print Post  
yeah but the waves at penrith are always crap

IP Logged

Lachie

Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 8:45am
Print Post  
It would simply be a back wards steep in the sport in australia if we had It any where but the surf. I under stand your concerns about not a reliable wave, believe it or not we kinda get around this in a way.
Place's like Phillip sland have sweet surf beachs from every direction within about 20 mins drive, so if the waves are kicking from the south then thats where we go - so most of the time we should be able to find a good spot.
I agree 100% with boz and yap, no decisions have been made at all.
but my vote is for the surf.
Thanks
Lachie Carracher

IP Logged

another anon

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Reliability is a factor, but the athletes also need to be able to show what they can do.

Surf competitions need to wait for surf, so why shouldnt our paddlers do ythe same? Until artifical courses came around there was always a chance of river levels changing and un-reliability.

I've paddled at Penrith, and have just spent a little while in North America and was blown away by what they were doing, I saw video a little while back of Patrick Camlin doing a huge blunt straight into a "back blunt", it was huge. Can this be done at Penrith? I'm pretty sure they can't well not from my knowledge.

These competitions need to show the full extent of the sport, its the only real way for progression and for non-paddlers to see where it's at.

Last but not least, lets remember that we're talking about the "Nationals" here, the search for Australias best.

IP Logged

Baby_Sarah

Reply #11 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 11:03am
Print Post  
I reckon whatever the go is then just DECIDE and then advertise.

People are going to want to come to this event and they need to plan, book transport and the earlier the better for cheap flights and deals.

If the nationals are going ahead in January you are going to give us a months notice if you tell us NOW.... that's pretty crap really - it doesn't leave anyone much time to ask for time off work or book travel. We're not all school kids or uni students and not everyone has weekends off.

I'd rather the competition was held at Penrith and the details were confirmed now than this farting around. If it's going to be beach - then fine tell us where and when and just plan the event.

People wonder why freestyle kayaking isn't viewed in the same league as slalom - well this is one thing that's holing us back the NATIONALS .... yes that's right the National Championships are in month (supposedly) and no one can tell us where or when..... how can you ask sponsors to support an event when you can't even tell them the details??

As for searching for the best  (annon) .... sure try and get a reasonable wave or whatever but this is Australia in a five year drought and not Canada I don't think you're going to find a big water wave here and if we wait while you look then we're going to be waiting a while.

And Lachie the sport will take a step backwards if the event is poorly organised no matter where it is held. For an open and fair competition and for the winner to claim they are the national champion then you need to give everyone a chance to be there and to train in similiar environments by giving them time. There's not going to be much point if it's all announced the day before and only the locals turn up.

Anyway just my two cents but I think most people would agree that we need to know where and when.

IP Logged

Jonnyontheinside

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Just a little info to maybe clear a few things up...

There’s been a lot of work going towards trying to organize and set out dates for these Nationals. In fact certain people have been working relentlessly for the past year trying to set dates. Nationals in Penrith, nationals in Tassie, nationals at the surf. All these different options have been thrown forward. A freestyle committee with the power to make these decisions and set these dates was in place through the last worlds but was then terminated by Australian Canoeing shortly after.

This has left no one with the authority to make these decisions until very recently when the freestyle committee was cleared once again by AC. Unfortunately due to this 10 month delay it has left us where we're at now; struggling to form a Nationals in the right place and give everyone enough notice.

Good news is this means the decision should come very soon.

Totally agree that everyone needs to be able to train in a similar environment, and have time to do so; hence the surf. Everyone has it (sorry if you live in the Northern Territory) and quite a lot of freestylers have learnt at the surf.

So just to make it clear this isn’t meant to be a rebuttal or fuel for an argument just a little info to let people know why this decision might be taking so long. The talk of where to have the comp (surf or river) has just been thrown out there to get the community involved and see what people thought.

But I now agree with you Sarah a decision will be made, the dates and info will be given out soon with as much notice as humanly possible given the committees situation.

Yours Truly,

- Timmy

IP Logged

ian

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
there's no surf in NQ either Sad - then again, most paddlers up here are happy enough just to paddle our rivers without all the hassle of comps and air fares.

IP Logged

anon

Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
there's no penrith there either....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top   

adventure guide | outdoor jobs | adventure tours | recreation courses | outdoor adventure news| video festival
forums | advertising | add a site | update a site | contact us | paddle australia | privacy statement | secure payments

AdventurePro Australia & New Zealand proudly supports the following advertisers...

Copyright © 1999 - Adventure Professional Publications. All rights reserved.
Secured by RapidSSL