AdventurePro's Australia and New Zealand Outdoor Adventure Guide
THE GUIDE   JOBS   TOURS
COURSES   NEWS  
One Planet - Rain wear, gaiters, tents, packs and sleeping bags!
Spacer

PayPal Logo MasterCard Visa

AdventurePro - Google+Follow us on TwitterFind us on Facebook®AdventureProVideo's Channel on YouTubeAdventureProVideo on Vimeo Bookmark and Share

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) 2006 freestyle nationals (Read 7,317 times)
Yak Attack

Re: 2006 freestyle nationals
Reply #15 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
No NQ does not have a Penrith style of pumped water source,

But the Tully is a pretty reliable water source with rafters demanding dam release, and the river has some very nice waves and play holes.

Plan to have a comp up there one day folks, you will be happily surprised. 

It's a great place for a 3 week winter canoeing holiday when the waters up.

But for now, I'd say the surf is the best that anyone is going to get this year.
SJ

IP Logged

jim

Reply #16 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
In regard to the nationals being held at the surf. I am wondering if any events such as national or international have been held in the surf? Really, I think we are talking about two entirely different formats as the waves are different, one is a standing wave the other a moving wave.
I think the problem in Australia is that we don't have rivers like the States and Canada because we are the driest inhabited country in the world, yet we are trying to find ways to do big moves, on waves that just don't exist in Australian rivers. (unless they are flooding maybe)
Of course we will look to our great surf conditions which can simulate such a wave and enable you to do such moves but is it the same as being on a river?
If we are having a  national freestyle whitewater competion does this have to be defined by the word whitewater as in the definitions below, or can we take up the word freestyle and have freedom to do what we want?
How will the international kayaking community look at a national freestyle event held in the surf?
To me, I think we have 2 different types of events and maybe we should treat them as such.

WHITEWATER -- Also known as rapids and wildwater. A stretch of turbulent, fast moving water that flows through rocks, over falls, and around other obstructions.

whitewater |(h)w?t?wt?r; ?w-| |(h)wa?t ?w?d?r| |?w?d?r| (also white water)
noun [often as adj. ] (also white-water)
fast shallow stretches of water in a river : whitewater rafting.

Whitewater is formed in a rapid, when a river's gradient drops enough to form a bubbly, or aerated and unstable current; the frothy water appears white. The term is also used loosely to refer to less-turbulent but still agitated flows.

IP Logged

toohie

Reply #17 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 3:31am
Print Post  
hey on the upper nepean there is a nice wave bit bigger then fryer but it gives alot more bounce then fryer i saw adrian get a foot of air on it and most moves would be possible also it has good river right eddie. it was at .7 when we paddled it and i herd that the river was dam release but i dont no how much they release if that is true and also it had rained alot when we paddled it so that would have added to any dam release that was there. so if we could sort something out with the dam that releases there then that could be a place to have a rodeo although it is in the middle of the run in a gorge but i think it could work just take alot of paper for judging and a stop watch and air horn and it would be all sweet......pretty dodgy idea but ah well

IP Logged

Brock

Reply #18 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 9:24am
Print Post  
The Oregon Cup used to have a surf day in it's format.
Brock

IP Logged

Yak Attack

Reply #19 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Hey how about you mix in both variables.

Find a spot where the surf runs through a gap in the rocks, or up onto a cliff, (ie like the pass at Byron bay on a high tide) then you'd have a place to hold the world first

National Freestyle Surf Based Whitewater Comp.

Kills 2 birds in one event. (maybe a few paddlers arms too)

Go to admit that would help raise the adrenaline stakes.

Just after you've done a big move, you have to recover to negotiate the whitewater foam amongst the rocks ahead of you.

Any takers?   Tongue

Steve

IP Logged

Brock

Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Yeah !! Love paddling in places that are 10 cm deep !!! At least paramedics would be able to pull you out from the boat ramp. That is unless a dive boat get's you !!
Brock

IP Logged

Yak Attack

Reply #21 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Well the pass must have changed.

It used to be that on a high tide and good swell you could surf right through the pass, hence it's name and no it was not 10cm deep.   More like 100cm.

And on a swell running from the north west you could surf in towards the northern cliff face of the pass headland, and launch off the calapatas caused by the previous wave as it rebounded off the cliff and headed back to sea again.

re the dive boats, yep they were always around but I assume more of them these days.

re another calaptas, one exists in Qld where two waves often meet each other as the break around an island and meet each other head on as a massive calapatas.

Makes for a great place the get launched mid air and all in the safety of deep water.

Come and try it, I'll be there at x-mas.

SJ

IP Logged

2006 nationals

Reply #22 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
come on ladies and gents were getting away from the fact that we still dont have a place for our freestyle nationals
and half the people winging about were it is goin to be wont even turn up
just like the last nationals
so lets just say we did hold a comp at te beach it would still be a freestyle kayaking/ playboating comp
i never knew they put white water infront of those two names
so come on COMPETITORS lets get our arses into gear and organise a freestyle kayaking / playboating surf comp
maybe we could do like a series like on in sydney and one in melbourne
neway it dosent have to be the nationals we just need a comp because the frestyle circuit in australia sucks compared to the rest of the world
im goin to start a new thread and post up there if you like the idea
if we get 30 people willing to come down and compete
we will organise the dates
cheers guys

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top   

adventure guide | outdoor jobs | adventure tours | recreation courses | outdoor adventure news| video festival
forums | advertising | add a site | update a site | contact us | paddle australia | privacy statement | secure payments

AdventurePro Australia & New Zealand proudly supports the following advertisers...

Copyright 1999 - Adventure Professional Publications. All rights reserved.
Secured by RapidSSL