AdventurePro's Australia and New Zealand Outdoor Adventure Guide
THE GUIDE   JOBS   TOURS
COURSES   NEWS  
One Planet - Rain wear, gaiters, tents, packs and sleeping bags!
Spacer

PayPal Logo MasterCard Visa

AdventurePro - Google+Follow us on TwitterFind us on Facebook®AdventureProVideo's Channel on YouTubeAdventureProVideo on Vimeo Bookmark and Share

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Paddle Clamp: how to (Read 2,051 times)
AD

Paddle Clamp: how to
Apr 20th, 2006 at 5:55am
Print Post  
I'd like to find out how people have made their own paddle clamp for their rescue kit.

Is there anything available off-the-shelf?
Any feedback on those?

I have also tried to find a karabiner that can be held open until triggered / force applied, has anyone come across such a product?

Cheers,
AD.

IP Logged

rigel

Re: Paddle Clamp: how to
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 7:02am
Print Post  
a friend of mine made a couple, he used a couple of bits of aluminium, about 2-3cm wide and 15 or so cm long. Bent a sort of kink in each one like this ____/\_ (angles very different) drilled a hole and put a small bolt and wingnut so they can be clamped together. The carabiner gets clamped in the kinked bit and the paddle on the other end and a bit of cord connects the clamp to  the carbiner so it doesn't fall in the water.

never used them in a real rescue but worked alright in practice as long as you didn't do up the nut too tight. The main disadvantage being that the clamp stayed on the rescued object so you couldn't reuse it. Could attach it to paddle with longer cord and maybe some modification to fix this.

a small stick usually worked all right to jam open the biner gate for ease of clipping. Bent gates seem to clip ok some times with  nothing, depending on the biner.

hope this helps

Rigel

IP Logged

Andy

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 7:44am
Print Post  
I have a karabiner that locks open and once force is applied it snaps shut.

I bought it from an arborist supply shop in Canterbury road Melbourne

Andy

IP Logged

Dank!

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 9:53am
Print Post  
howdy,
i think there's a product on the market that is a little plastic device that hold open the gate on the karabiner for use in rescue situations etc. I think the guys at Canoes plus might know some more about it.
cheers

IP Logged

hairy_boater

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
just use some gaffa tape to hold the gate open & tape the karabiner to the paddle - given how much people use paddle clamps generally [ie.never], a paddle clamp is a waste of space...

but then this activity does tend to have an element of gearfreakishness associated with so clamp away! I reckon someone should fabricate some paddle clamps out of carbon/kevlar with titanium wingnuts...

hairy

IP Logged

ShaunMc

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 6:10am
Print Post  
You don't need a special carabiner for the paddle clamp.  simply hold the carabiner open whilst you do up the paddle clamp.  Ensure the clamp is placed on the part of the carabiner which the gate contacts whilst open, then you can put the side of the carabiner and the gate in the clamp and it will be held open.  Be sure to attatch the clamp to the paddle, then when you pull it off it fully releases the carabiner thus releasing the gate and alowing the carabiner to close.  Sounds complex but if you have it all in front of you it's easy to figure out and do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top   

adventure guide | outdoor jobs | adventure tours | recreation courses | outdoor adventure news| video festival
forums | advertising | add a site | update a site | contact us | paddle australia | privacy statement | secure payments

AdventurePro Australia & New Zealand proudly supports the following advertisers...

Copyright © 1999 - Adventure Professional Publications. All rights reserved.
Secured by RapidSSL