AdventurePro's Australia and New Zealand Outdoor Adventure Guide
THE GUIDE   JOBS   TOURS
COURSES   NEWS  
One Planet - Rain wear, gaiters, tents, packs and sleeping bags!
Spacer

PayPal Logo MasterCard Visa

AdventurePro - Google+Follow us on TwitterFind us on Facebook®AdventureProVideo's Channel on YouTubeAdventureProVideo on Vimeo Bookmark and Share

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The best playwave in Australia? (Read 4,934 times)
AB

The best playwave in Australia?
Jul 3rd, 2006 at 5:28am
Print Post  
Above title is tongue in cheek but: I'm living in Batemans Bay at the moment and cannot believe the quality of the wave(s) that travel up the Clyde River on a consistent basis. Basically, there's a shallow sandbar at the entrance that creates what looks like constant playholes. They vary in shape (sometimes a breaking wave that then froms a hole, sometimes like a flattish "stopper") depending on tide and swell and travel anything from 50 to 500 metres. If you're a playboater and in the area check it out. To find: from the middle of town follow Beach Road and look left from about half a k to a k out of town - it'll be obvious. Also, once you catch a wave it would be easy to paddle back out in the channel.

IP Logged

Yak Attack

Re: The best playwave in Australia?
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 5:40am
Print Post  
So post some pics!!!!!

IP Logged

Rolo

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Sounds bloody sweet!! But my geography sucks all i know is its south of sydney, so how far is it to there? Coz im down in jervis bay this weekend and thought its somewhere near batemens but im prolly completly wrong.

also what tide is it best at?

this better be good you got me hopes up heaps high!! Grin Grin

IP Logged

ShitScared

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Dude your right on track
You have to go through Batemans to get to Jervis

IP Logged

Rolo

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 8:14am
Print Post  
sweet!!!!! Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Tegs

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Barnsey trust you to find a sweet spot to play in! Post some pics! Hope all is well & you`re not missing the snow too much!

Tegs

IP Logged

AB

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Batemans is about 3.5 - 4 hrs south of Sydney.
South of Jervis Bay by another 90 mins (I think)?? About 40 mins south of Ulladulla.
Very close to the Shoalhaven River by the way so if you're in the area paddling that it would be worth ducking down.
Tides? Dunno - I think it works more according to swell than tide - but I could be wrong! Not so good at low tide because some of the sandbank is out of the water.
So lets say mid to high tide with anything from a smallish to big swell will work. That said I've seen it working with small swell and almost all tides! 
No photos because I haven't got camera gear with me and also because I haven't actually paddled it: given up pretending to be even a crap playboater!
If the "ambulance station playwave" (it's actually a bit downriver of the station but that's what I'm calling it!) isn't working it shouldn't be a problem - there's plenty of breaks in the area where you can get a wave. The breakwall at the mount of the Moruya River looks especially good but check out anywhere from Durras (north of Bateman's) all the way through to Moruya (south of Batemans): there's lots of different breaks within half an hour of the town and you'll find something working even when there's hardly any swell.
Hope someone comes down and plays it so they can tell me if it's as good as it looks!
AB.

IP Logged

Rolo

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 9:23am
Print Post  
down there next saturday dude!!

i just hope i wont need to paddle to the hospital afterwards.. Shocked

but it sounds worth it!

IP Logged

rusty_b

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 9:28am
Print Post  
hey guys howd u go with that wave.. sounds like it could be a promising wave by wat has been written above, has ne one else paddled it yet? if so wats it like as far as surfing moves go? cheerz rusty

IP Logged

Natedog

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Say that someone was driving along the hume between melbourne and sydney with some time on their hands and im bored of driving syndrome... what exit should one take to find said spot, a.k.a batemans??

also is there an angry local surfer crew? i have had people go out of their way to be upset before...

Nath.

IP Logged

Yak Attack

Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Hey Natedog, I suggest you get a map out and use a bit of initiative. The details are above if you look.  8)
SJ

IP Logged

AB

Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 5:15am
Print Post  
There doesn't seem to be a " heavy local surfer scene" here. Besides, the waves are so uncrowded in winter you can find a break all to yourself.
The Durras area just north of Batemans looks like it's got myriad point breaks that'd go well in a playboat.
As for "the playwave" there is NEVER anyone on it. It's either the greateast undiscovered secret or a complete hoax - but someone has to get on it to find out!
Note the playwave is actually a constant series of waves - often with a few running parallel to each other - the biggest waves are almost opposite the ocean rescue / boat ramp where the river really opens out into the bay. They get smaller as they run up toward town. Don't get run over by speedboats as you cross the channel.
If going up the Hume you basically have to go through Canberra to get here: it's about 2 hrs from Canberra.

IP Logged

Yak Attack

Reply #12 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 5:55am
Print Post  
So do we have any pics Yet?

IP Logged

Fred65
AP Forums Newbie

See you on the river

Reply #13 - Aug 6th, 2006 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Hi all,

I plan to come down to the coast this WE (12/13). Is there anyone who will paddle this spot that WE???
I'll stay in Mossy Point, and after surfing in the morning, i'd be keen to paddle "the best playwave in Australia"  Wink catching pics and vdo if it's possible...

See you there...

Cheers

Fred

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top   

adventure guide | outdoor jobs | adventure tours | recreation courses | outdoor adventure news| video festival
forums | advertising | add a site | update a site | contact us | paddle australia | privacy statement | secure payments

AdventurePro Australia & New Zealand proudly supports the following advertisers...

Copyright © 1999 - Adventure Professional Publications. All rights reserved.
Secured by RapidSSL