An immersive masterclass in camp planning
Well-planned camps create life-changing experiences for young people.
This short course will enhance your camp planning and facilitation skills, and deepen your understanding of risk management and best-practice for residential camps.
It is suitable to a wide group of people, from pre-service teachers, teachers and the wider community of people, interested in applying for a job to work for any organisation running outdoor residential camps or outdoor education programs with children which would add value to their employment opportunities.
This course is an immersive hands-on experience, and includes a series of socially-inclusive activities and games interspersed with behind-the-scenes insights into the conduct of camps.
We will unpack two experiences:
- Students: Experience a camp as a student as you are led through activities, curriculum-based content, risk management and how to create an inclusive environment.
- Teacher, mentor or staff facilitator: what roles do you play in camp programming?
This program is appropriate for camp planning for students of all ages.
- Administration, Risk Management and delivery of processes and procedures in conducting a school camp in a residential setting.
- Using high ropes as a facilitation and activity tool.
- Wellbeing and the staff-student relationships on camp.
- Expectations from staff and students of the ‘camp’ experience.
- Common risks, myths, conceptions and activities of the camp experience.
- Inclusive camp games and programming.
- Community projects and thinking beyond camp boundaries.
- Environmental awareness and the Australian bush setting.
- Unpacking ‘sustainability’ through residential camp practices.
- Curriculum and reporting of camp programs.
- Seeing beyond the camp; integrating the experience into the ‘real world’.
Please note: this is a new program and might be subject to change.
15% discount is available to Monash Education alumni. Student ID will be required for this pricing option.
Course delivery method
2.5 days camp with two overnight stays. This includes:
- A 30-min briefing webinar 1-2 weeks before camp experience
- 2.5 days on-site residential camp experience
Dates and venue
28 February - 2 March 2019
Arrive to camp at 10am on day 1. Depart at 2pm on day 3.
Rubicon Outdoor Centre – Nayook Campus
Working With Children Check is required for this camp. While you won't be working directly with children, there might be other school groups at the camp.
No formal assessment. There is an optional course booklet to complete that can be later used when planning and administering camps.
You will receive a Certificate of Completion from the Faculty of Education, Monash University.
Venue : Rubicon Outdoor Centre (Nayook Campus)
Cost : $595 (GST-free)
Start Date : 28.02.2019
End Date : 02.03.2019
Closing Date (dd.mm.yyyy) : 25.02.2019
Phone : 03 990 52700
Email : N/A
Website : https://www.monash.edu/education/future-students/short-courses/health-and-physical-education/immersive-masterclass-in-camp-planning