Good Gear Review: Maui Jim Waterman sunglasses
By Tony Barnett
October 02, 2015
Maui Jim, pioneer of the world’s "number one polarised lens" recently launched their "most cutting-edge sports sunglasses" into the Australian market.
Maui Jim says "Waterman is designed for fast action, the most rugged outdoor activities, and is the ultimate polarised sunglass for water activity."
"Sports enthusiasts and water adventurers will revel in the clarity and functionality offered by Waterman."
- Strategically placed lens vents to quickly dry water captured inside the lens and allow for maximum air circulation, less wind resistance and fog-free vision.
- A lightweight and durable nylon frame featuring a soft rubber inlay that completely cups the eyes in aerodynamic, wind-breaking lens protection. Its contoured temple design easily slips under helmets, and its anti-corrosive hardware eliminates any concern about rust.
- A fully-adjustable cushioned head strap enables the entire frame to be tightened down and held securely in place for a day of activity without slipping or falling off.
- Maui Jim’s patented PolarisedPlus2 lenses boost colour vibrancy, offer extreme clarity and enable wearers to view the water differently to what they have experienced before. The vivacious colour is enhanced by the use of three rare earth elements that improve definition and depth perception.
- Lens protection technology including waterproof and oleophobic coatings to shed water and repel smudges, as well as proprietary CLEARSHELL® scratch-resistant coating to reduce scratches.
AdventurePro team members tested the Watermans for a week, focusing on their "rugged outdoor activities" performance, not just water activities.
What we liked...
The lenses are superb, possibly the best we have ever experienced, but they do shift colours quite dramatically... everything looks somehow better than the real thing. Colours are deeper, richer and more vibrant.
This makes them very comfortable and easy on your eyes, particularly in extended periods in really bright sunlight.
Note that a neutral lens is available for those who prefer to keep colours more natural!
The venting around the lenses helps keep you cool and helps prevent condensation when you're working hard.
And, the strap secures the glasses extremely well. They will not fall off.
What we didn't like...
Our only real issue was that we felt the strap should be removable, rather than being permanently fixed to the arms.
This would allow you to take them off while keeping a helmet in place, for example, and being able to wear them in a wider range of situations.
And, the strap is just a bit too much for casual wear, driving etc. and can get quite hot.
But, they are designed for water activities and to stay on in extreme situations which they do very well.
Cosmetically, they suited people with a large face but performed equally well for everyone. Maybe a choice of sizes would be good?
Would we recommend them?
Waterman sunglasses comes in four colour combinations including Matte Black with Neutral Grey lenses, Matte Rootbeer with HCL® Bronze lenses, White with Maui Rose® lenses and Titanium with Maui HT™ lenses.
Watermanis widely available in non-prescription and prescription versions.
All Maui Jim sunglasses have been recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective UV filter for the eyes and surrounding skin.
For more information, please visit MauiJim.com
Copyright © Tony Barnett. 10.02.2015. All Rights Reserved.