Expedition Leaders from Australia & NZ
Lead Australian & New Zealand teams on trips between 2-4 weeks long. Our transformative adventures take place in 40+ stunning global destinations worldwide. Inspire young people to develop crucial life skills like leadership, teamwork, self-awareness and compassion through experiential learning on expedition style trips and we are leading the way to being global citizens through our cultural immersion trips . Share your passion for travel, learning, trekking, community engagement, awareness and culture with your team. World Challenge aspires to a world where local and global communities come together to take action for positive change, and this is something you could be involved with.
Our Leaders are a key factor in ensuring the success and safety of all our trips: we match your qualifications, skills and experience with individual teams' itineraries to deliver the best possible expedition for you and your team. The support we offer teams in country as well as our back up and safety system is unrivalled! Meet and bond with your team before departing on expedition. Request to remain in country after your team returns home to do your own exploring.
- Hard Skills / Technical Qualifications in trekking / bushwalking / tramping
- Experience leading 4+ day bushwalks / treks (40+ days required)
- Demonstrated ability to identify and mitigate risk in outdoor, urban and group settings.
- Experience working or travelling in the developing world (minimum 4 weeks, personal travel)
- Wilderness First Aid & CPR certification / PHEC (Please note that this qualification is not required at the time of application, but must be obtained prior to leading an expedition)
- Previous Experience working with youth / appropriate soft skills
- Police / Criminal / Working with Children Screening
- Enthusiasm for youth development and sense of fun
Leading for us
- Leaders are responsible for ensuring that students and teachers have the best possible experience.
- Leaders are also responsible for delivering the World Challenge ethos of leadership, ecological and cultural respect and responsibility.
- World Challenge Leaders are expected to lead from behind so that students have opportunities to make mistakes and to take charge of situations themselves on expedition style trips
- Nonetheless, Leaders should expect to step in and assist with team dynamics, planning, budgeting, communication, etc. when necessary.
- Our Community & Culture trips are generally 2-3 weeks and have pre-set itineraries, incorporating cultural activities.
- Leaders help look out for the psychological well-being of the team. For many students and teachers this is the first time they have attempted any kind of extended trek and it is often the first time they have left Australia or New Zealand and spent so long away from home.
- Briefing and debriefing teams and individuals within your team is key to ensure they can transfer what they have learned on expedition to their lives at home and draw on their experiences in the future.
A copy of the Job Description is available here... (PDF, 1MB)
Where?: 40+ stunning global destinations
Closing Date (dd.mm.yyyy): 24.02.2019
Level 5, 163 Eastern Road
South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 3205