Motutapu Outdoor Education Camp
Motutapu Outdoor Education Camp (MOEC) is looking an enthusiastic Outdoor Education professional with experience in leadership and knowledge of the New Zealand Outdoors and Education sectors, to join our team in the Senior Instructor role. If you are an experienced instructor with management and organizational skills and experience looking for a diverse role this could be the position for you. We would love for you to come join our dedicated team who are passionate about making MOEC the leading Outdoor Education provider in New Zealand.
Motutapu Outdoor Education Camp (MOEC) hosts a variety of groups year-round with a focus on student groups from the greater Auckland region. Activities on the island include; kayaking, snorkelling, sailing, SUP, Waka Ama, high ropes, low ropes, climbing wall, abseiling, archery, and more. The Senior Instructor role is multi-faceted, requiring a high level of organization and time management skills in order to achieve both the administrative, leadership and practical instructing requirements of this position.
Roles & Responsibilities
As the Senior Instructor, your core role will be to lead a team of up to 8 instructors and coordinate programmes with clients. You will be responsible for ensuring legal requirements and industry standards are maintained over all the activities offered at MOEC and assist clients to develop exciting customized programmes to suit their individual needs. You will also be innovative and proactive in developing opportunities for MOEC. Risk management will be a top priority for you which will include analysis of all incidents, accident, and nears misses. You will ensure the recruitment, training and development of instructional staff is of a very high standard and to also help create an open and cohesive community among the instructors. You will spend time out in the field instructing a variety of activities as well as observing and evaluating the instructor team.
In addition to the core role you will work with the rest of the management team to maintain an efficient camp operation in regards to maintenance and overall day to day logistics.
With this mix of responsibilities, your role will have a wonderful balance between administrative management work along with working directly with clients in a gorgeous outdoor setting.
- At least 5 years of experience working in the outdoors
- At least 2 years management experience
- NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa
- Experience instructing a variety of land-based and water/ocean based activities
- Current first aid training (PHEC or equivalent)
Highly Desirable Candidates will also have the following additional skills:
- NZOIA qualifications (or equivalent) in any of the following areas: rock, bush, kayak/sea kayak
- High level of awareness in regards to risk management
- Excellent leadership skills
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of people
- Detail orientated organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literacy in programmes including Microsoft and Google Drive suites
- NZ class 2 licence
- Competitive salary negotiable based on prior experience
- Accommodation on Motutapu Island
- Utilities including electricity, water, gas, Wi-Fi, etc.
- Personal protective equipment allowance
- Pro-deals with a variety of outdoor companies
The starting date for this job is 1st of November 2019 with a 2 year commitment. Flexibility with work hours will be necessary as some weekend work and travel is also required.
If you are looking for a job in a gorgeous island setting working with an amazing team of instructors with any of the required skills listed above, then please apply!
How to apply
Please apply by sending a current CV with references and a covering letter to the Facility Manager at Inquiry@motutapucamp.org.nz
Where?: Motutapu Island, Hauraki Gulf, New Zealand
Workload: Full Time
Closing Date (dd.mm.yyyy): 04.11.2019
Motutapu Outdoor Education Camp
1 Camp Road
Motutapu Island, Hauraki Gulf, New Zealand 1000